HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Registration DOES NOT need an email verification.
Welcome to the biggest MyBrute forum on the internet.
Look at the sections' stickies: you'll find there everything you need to know about the game!

Share | 

How to become/be the best Moderator possible.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KiwiMan
Banned
Banned

PostSubject: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 05:10

Being a moderator

Moderator job is something that is serious. Consider as your virtual-every-day-job. It has a lot of responsibilities and you need to know with what kind of forum you are dealing with. This article will be telling you all tips and tasks to become an excellent moderator and make an excellent career. I’ve been in forums communities and working for forums for 5 years and I have the experience to tell you all the good parts and good info to be a good moderator. You should know, that 5 years ago, I got hired as moderator on a small forum and the next week I got fired from that job! Of course, the administrator wanted new moderators to give them a chance to begin somewhere. I did not have any experience and did not know how to be moderator and that’s how doing bad work fired me! I learned a lesson and never did it again. I never got fired from a moderator job since then – unless I would quit. That’s why I want to prevent you from this and by reading this article, you’ll be able to start your moderating career in no time and be a good moderator!

The difficult part of beginning is that you don’t have any experience and it’s hard to find an administrator who wants to hire none-experienced moderators. Usually, if they do hire these new moderators it’s because they want to give a chance to starters. The best way to get hired is to be very active on a forum and then be moderator. Usually, administrators who do that don’t ask you anything and hire you. These kinds of hiring have caused a lot of problems. Members who became moderators had no experience and did not know what they were doing. I have known a lot of cases like that. More and more administrators will ask you, via email, a presentation email with your forum experience resume. If you start off, I suggest you become very active on a forum and, then, you’ll be hired a moderator. Stay one month or less, then quit, and find a new moderating job.

Let’s say you just got hired on a forum as moderator. It’s the first time you work as a moderator and it’s the first time you go onto this forum where you are about to start your new job. Moderating is not just erasing, locking topics, it’s also about helping the administrator to find techniques to grow or to arrange something on the forum. The best thing to do, when you arrive, is propose few ideas to the administrator about how this forum can improve in global atmosphere, how to get members faster, strategies to make members active ones, etc. It’s all depending on the forum problems. He’ll see that you are a hard working person and you want, not only, contribute to moderating to the forum but also help the forum to grow and improve. Of course, you must still do your job; moderate.

Second of all, try to get to know the community of this forum especially the members frequenting mostly the sections that you moderate. Talk to them, let them propose ideas, try to tell them what projects you have in mind for this forum and tell them rules that you are imposing for each sections you moderate. Of course, you must be very active on this forum, especially try to develop these sections you are moderating by creating, everyday, new topics and reply quick so that the total posts on these sections become high. I have known a lot of moderators who tended to act superior to members by threatening these members of banning them or act as if the moderators knew more information’s, on these sections that they moderate, more than anyone else on this forum. You must not act well. Actually, you must act equal to all members. If you ban a member – if you have the right – you must create an extra topic with valuable reasons. Because, you don’t want, the next days, to have members complain of you because you had no valuable reasons! Then, the administrator might fire you!

Memorize that you need to be very active on the forum where you work and be nice and appreciated by all members. Your work needs to be good and then, once you’ll get a lot of jobs of moderating, your forum experience resume will be great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://frontlinegaming.co.cc
KiwiMan
Banned
Banned

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 05:11

When I became Moderator of a forum for the very first time (not owner of my own forum i mean Moderator of a good strong forum) I was given this to read.
I think this will help many new Moderators or people wanting to become a Moderator themselves in becoming the best they can be.
Back to top Go down
Jill Sandwich
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 05:19

lol tl;dr

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 05:31

Sweet thx man will keep this in mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anylopectina12

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 05:33

didn't read it my mind blows on long texts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlamingToaster

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 08:24

I've read longer posts anylopectina12. Yeah this is good and thanks for sharing this with us kiwiman
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ossionic

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 11:27

I couldn't read all that. It's too much! But im sure i can put all of that in a single simple easy to remember sentence..

A mod duty is to make everyone's forum experience more enjoyable.

If you tell yourself that each time you lock a thread, or you're telling somone off or giving anyone a warning - you'll know if you're being a mod or a pain in the ass.

Pardon my french.

Last edited by Ossionic on Mon 25 May 2009, 12:13; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Http://invinzibli.mybrute.com
kaixxpzs

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 12:12

i cant read long text. xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://demitia-300.mybrute.com
Anylopectina12

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 15:58

thanks ossionic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jill Sandwich
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 17:11

Great summary, Ossi Razz
and tl;dr means too long didn't read btw (I rmember you asked that a while back)

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 17:13

tl;dr haha didn't get it the first you post it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ossionic

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 18:07

Jill Sandwich wrote:

and tl;dr means too long didn't read btw (I rmember you asked that a while back)

Then u shoulda answered!! if only you knew the hell i had to go trough!!

I had to go all the way to google and search it!! gwaaaah!! At least you coulda done something like this to help Sad :

http://tinyurl.com/rxs8w5

Pshht! ur lazier than me -,- (wahaha - impossible!)

Last edited by Ossionic on Mon 25 May 2009, 18:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anylopectina12

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 18:08

lol^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KiwiMan
Banned
Banned

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 20:41

The text is not that ling, its worth reading if your serrious about becoming a moderator or being a great moderator.
Back to top Go down
Jill Sandwich
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Mon 25 May 2009, 20:46

KiwiMan wrote:
The text is not that ling, its worth reading if your serrious about becoming a moderator or being a great moderator.

I'm fine with being an "OK" moderator Rolling Eyes (As someone once called me on this forum)
I'm more serious about my GPA... I don't have time to read that :)

Banned
Banned

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 05:03

Jill Sandwich wrote:
KiwiMan wrote:

I'm fine with being an "OK" moderator Rolling Eyes (As someone once called me on this forum)
I'm more serious about my GPA... I don't have time to read that :)
Slow reader -.-
Back to top Go down
heroinmonkey
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 07:39

LOL... why didn't you just link to the site you plagiarized it from?

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19685

Visit My Dragon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlamingToaster

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 07:57

KiwiMan wrote:
When I became Moderator of a forum for the very first time (not owner of my own forum i mean Moderator of a good strong forum) I was given this to read.
I think this will help many new Moderators or people wanting to become a Moderator themselves in becoming the best they can be.
Heroinmonkey read the whole topic before you come in and start acusing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KiwiMan
Banned
Banned

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 08:02

heroinmonkey wrote:
LOL... why didn't you just link to the site you plagiarized it from?

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19685
Firstly that site doesnt even have the origonal copy.
Second I copied this straight from my pm box from the forum I used to be Moderator of.
Third read the first reply on this thread.

I Apologised to you and now you try to accuse me of more?
I post something useful and you google it like im always ripping guides right?
Stop trying to cause trouble infact you should have been the one to leave this forum, not doosh.
I have more Moderator and Administrator experience than you in my little toe, you kick people from the sb for saying shit?
Read the rules, there is nothing wrong with saying shit, its not insulting anyone or anything.
Btw.. I wrote the rules.
Back to top Go down
heroinmonkey
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 08:58

Ok, I will admit I did jump the gun but I will stand by that my post was not without merit.

We all know Kiwi used to be a mod here, a fact he constantly reminds everyone, but he fails to accept that by being a former mod doesn't make him an authority on current mods. He is constantly telling mods what they should/should not be doing as if he were the authority (which is reserved for fotum).

The moderators do not answer to him.
For example: Someone posted something moronic in the Tips section, so I modified their post and within a minute:
Kiwiman: Since when do VIP's get that power.
Then I informed him I given moderator status for that section and he then stated that he "would talk to fotum" because he didn't think I should have that power.

2 days later fotum assigned me moderator of the shoutbox. Kiwi then felt I wasn't "worthy" of that either. Yes, I kicked people for cursing in the shoutbox AFTER REPEATED WARNINGS. No swearing has been a standing rule ever since I have been a member here and just because it's not explicitly stated in writing there is a common sense factor involved.

Tonight in the shoutbox he stated this:
[03:49:15] KiwiMan : I wrote the rules
[03:49:21] KiwiMan : there is no rule agaist swearing.
[03:49:27] KiwiMan : against*
[03:49:34] KiwiMan : shit fuck dick cunt ass.
[03:49:37] KiwiMan : lol
[03:49:39] KiwiMan : see?

Yet, it is common knowledge that swearing is not allowed in the shoutbox and people who do swear are warned by the moderators. Yet, because it's not explicitly stated in the rules then Kiwi believes he is above the current policies.

That lack of maturity alone states volumes in how he should consider himself the last authority on who should/should not be moderators and his opinion of worthiness is not warranted or wanted.

Visit My Dragon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ossionic

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:06

Well. To be honest, i too was a mod.. Several times.. Sometimes it came easy because i was only modding my clan member's forum.. Other not so much because i was head modding site like GamePark.eu , which back then had over 20 k active members and 27 mods to handle the chaos.. haha the peak of my modding pride..

lol... What i was getting to is, i never read any one's idea on how to mod and i never will. I do believe in diversity and what differentiates a good mod from a bad one won't have anything to do with reading some guidelines. It just comes naturally.

Forget what others tell you to do because you should be telling them Wink

" Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where these is no path and leave a trail behind. "

Sidenote to heroin..

You need to loosen up!
No one will ever like you if your intentions are never friendly but always aggressive!!

Quote :
That lack of maturity alone states volumes in how he should consider himself the last authority on who should/should not be moderators and his opinion of worthiness is not warranted or wanted.

Why do you throw these attacks on people?

Just my personal friendly advice.. no need to snap at me for it :/
Back to top Go down
heroinmonkey
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:21

Ossionic wrote:

Sidenote to heroin..

You need to loosen up!
No one will ever like you if your intentions are never friendly but always aggressive!!

Quote :

Why do you throw these attacks on people?

Just my personal friendly advice.. no need to snap at me for it :/

I was just pointing out that Kiwi likes to think of himself as an authority and deems himself a moderator expert and feels he has the right to speak of people's worthiness in being moderators and his statements are not warranted or wanted. Wasn't an attack, was merely pointing out an instance of relevance.

Perhaps, maybe when reading things that I post, the reader needs to disregard their personal disdain towards me prior to commenting because it obviously clouds any potential for unbiased objectivity.

Visit My Dragon

Last edited by heroinmonkey on Tue 26 May 2009, 10:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ossionic

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:24

*sigh*

Okay okay.. None of my business!

*walks away and mumbles*

dshakjhfthatrightthereisanotherattackdskahjgjh
Back to top Go down
heroinmonkey
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:36

Some of Kiwi's quotes regarding moderators and me: (for the record)

Kiwiman wrote:

The only thing i have ever said to fotum about you is, "does Heroinmonkey realy desrve his moderator status?"
Kiwiman wrote:

You dont deserve moderator stop trying to make me look bad I could care less.
Kiwiman wrote:

I dont think you should be banned, but i do think your moderator powers should be removed.
You know nothing about Moderating a forum i mean kicking me from the shoutbox 2 times for a rule that didnt exist (I know the rules i wrote them) and then a 3rd kick just because you liked the number 3?
There is no reason for you to be tips and tricks and guides Moderator sure you can still help and post alot of guides but no need to have some one like you as Moderator your just not Moderator material,
Kiwiman wrote:

Authough I wish, Heroin is not bad enough to recieve a ban.
Just lose his powers.
Kiwiman wrote:

I think serriously fotum should remove all of heroins powers.
Heroin obviously knows nothing about moderating a forum, I was kicked 3 times from the shoutbox for a rule that didnt exist (i would know i wrote this forums shoutbox rules).

notice a pattern?

Visit My Dragon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KiwiMan
Banned
Banned

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Tue 26 May 2009, 19:57

heroinmonkey wrote:
Some of Kiwi's quotes regarding moderators and me: (for the record)

Kiwiman wrote:

The only thing i have ever said to fotum about you is, "does Heroinmonkey realy desrve his moderator status?"
Kiwiman wrote:

You dont deserve moderator stop trying to make me look bad I could care less.
Kiwiman wrote:

I dont think you should be banned, but i do think your moderator powers should be removed.
You know nothing about Moderating a forum i mean kicking me from the shoutbox 2 times for a rule that didnt exist (I know the rules i wrote them) and then a 3rd kick just because you liked the number 3?
There is no reason for you to be tips and tricks and guides Moderator sure you can still help and post alot of guides but no need to have some one like you as Moderator your just not Moderator material,
Kiwiman wrote:

Authough I wish, Heroin is not bad enough to recieve a ban.
Just lose his powers.
Kiwiman wrote:

I think serriously fotum should remove all of heroins powers.
Heroin obviously knows nothing about moderating a forum, I was kicked 3 times from the shoutbox for a rule that didnt exist (i would know i wrote this forums shoutbox rules).

notice a pattern?
Stop complaining, I dont like you, you know that.
Stop trying to make points like this just so you can prove me wrong..
Sofar you havent proved any thing to me apart from the fact your incredibly wound up and always trys to prove people wrong on the slight hint of something you dont like.
Btw those quotes are all about you so remove the Quotes about Moderators and you..
It should be Quotes about Heroin.
By doing that your trying to get more people against me, serriously fuck off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to become/be the best Moderator possible.   Today at 17:36

Back to top Go down

How to become/be the best Moderator possible.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next