My Brute Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Registration DOES NOT need an email verification.
Welcome to the biggest MyBrute forum on the internet.
Look at the sections' stickies: you'll find there everything you need to know about the game!

I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.

Go down 
+5
Remzzo
Negative Zephyr
FlamingToaster
heroinmonkey
Timetorun
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Timetorun

I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Empty
PostSubject: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 09:53

Chatbox Rules

Quote :
The Chatbox is located at the top of the home page of mybrute forums (https://mybrute.forumotion.com), Some rules apply. We will not tolerate:
i. Rudeness
ii. Insulting posts
iii. Flooding or Spamming
iv. Personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory messages.
v. No advertising or outside promotion
vi. No Swearing

Sanctions:
First: Verbal warning.
Second: Kick from the shoutbox.
Third: Temporary Ban.
Fourth: If still does not apply to the rules, may result in Permanent Ban.

One of the greatest freedoms we are given in America is the freedom of speech. It is what our country was founded upon and I believe that it is part of why America is such a great country.
The first step to losing freedom of speech will not be an overt action, but will rather come slowly and in stages. Every time we do not stick up for ourselves we our giving away our rights.

I do not agree with this censorship of the chatbox because I feel that we as a community should at least have the freedom to use every word that is in our vernacular.

I DO NOT think that we should be completely unmoderated, with every nine people that act in a manner becoming our community there will always be that one asshole that will just want to start problems. However, I feel that over compensating to the point of total censorship is both uncalled for, and unjust.

I humbly ask that the chatbox rules be changed to allow swearing, (of all kinds), just not spamming.
Allow me to present an example.

Scenario 1. "Did you see that story on the news? It is fu**ing bullsh*t." (Acceptable)
Scenario 2. " So I was checking out this bi***es a** and thinking to myself how badly I wanted to stick my **** in her ****" (Unacceptable)

In my mind the difference between the two scenarios is two-fold. First, in scenario one the emphasis was not on the swear words themselves, but using the swear words to emphasize the point of the story. Secondly, in scenario two the speaker was obviously, and purposefully being obscene and using swear words for shock value.

I also humbly ask that mockery and flaming to a mild degree be reinstated.

In any community that is devoted to competition, trash talking is both a fun way to joke around, as well as a way to intimidate the opposition.

Allow me once again to present an example.

Scenario 1. "Your brute is terrible, you are going to get wrecked." (Acceptable)
Scenario 2. "Your brute is terrible, I don't know why you even bothered to come on this website." (Unacceptable)

I specifically made the two scenarios quite similar because I understand that nice, trash talking and complete flaming are only a hairs width apart; let's break down these two scenarios.
In scenario one we see that a statement and a challenge has been made. If the speaker were to leave it at this, or only continue after their opponent has replied in kind then I would consider it to be completely acceptable trash talk.
Now understandably there will be some people with weak dispositions that would rather not hear trash talk, but for it to completely effect them in a negative way would indicate that the person in question should not be on the internet, but rather in a sterile room with happy, stuffed animals.
In scenario two the speaker starts out in the same manner, mocking the opponents brute, but goes on to challenge their eligibility to even be on the forums at all. Competition is one thing, driving people away is completely different and unacceptable.

I beg every one to consider what I have said and weigh in with your opinions. To not defend freedom is the same as taking it away.
Back to top Go down
heroinmonkey
VIP
VIP
heroinmonkey

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 09:58

Two words: Target Audience.
Back to top Go down
FlamingToaster
FlamingToaster

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:03

There wasn't much point in posting that because most people on this forum don't like reading huge posts. I read all of it and generaly agre with you. On the swearing issue, you have a stronger case but in the flaming bit i disagre with you. This forum has had too much flaming. If you are going to flame someone the worst place to do it is the chatbox. Of cause there is nothing wrong with a bit of joking around but lets just keep the flaming out of the chat box.
Back to top Go down
heroinmonkey
VIP
VIP
heroinmonkey

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:08

To be brutally honest, if the only word you can use in a conversation must be a swear word or cursing then perhaps you should be seeking ways to increase your vocabulary rather than trying to infer freedom of speech arguments.

Swearing doesn't add any intrinsic value, nor is it required in order to describe a complete thought.

Last edited by heroinmonkey on Sat 30 May 2009, 10:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FlamingToaster
FlamingToaster

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:13

Depends how old you are and what group of people you hang out with.
Back to top Go down
Negative Zephyr
Negative Zephyr

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:18

1st: You should take a note that this forum is international forum, not only American... You should know that in other country, such dirty words like f*ck and sh*t are banned.
2nd: Even innocent children can join this forum, because it is about games... Mybrute is a game which has long-range of age. Well, do you want your child to be swore in this forum? You don't, right? Their mental was not enough to receive that kind of word...
3rd: If we're going Without censorship..., what kind of forum is that?? I'll be sure to leave ASAP, because I'll think "members here are not nice..."

And Moving this to Off-Topic.....
[MOVED]
Back to top Go down
Remzzo
Remzzo

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:22

Yah...Not all american is here in forum...
Back to top Go down
http://remzzo21.dragonadopters.com
heroinmonkey
VIP
VIP
heroinmonkey

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:23

I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. 23860378_89e8ebd646

This is a sign that is prominently displayed throughout the oceanfront and within malls here.
In areas where this sign is present and you curse/swear you can be ticketed and fined for swearing in public. Why? Because it's a rule established as a city ordinance and punishable by the law.
If you get ticketed you will not be winning any civil rights cases or violations of the first amendment.

The point: It's an established rule and put in place by the governing powers.

Fotum has saw fit to add no swearing to the chatbox rules, so your choices are to either agree or disagree, but you can be subjected to punishment by shoutbox moderators should you break this rule.

And that is all that really matters here.
Back to top Go down
Anylopectina12
Anylopectina12

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 17:11

To be honest, i didn't read you LLLLOOOONNNNGG post sorry but i agree with the rules
Back to top Go down
Jill Sandwich
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Jill Sandwich

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 18:16

heroinmonkey wrote:
To be brutally honest, if the only word you can use in a conversation must be a swear word or cursing then perhaps you should be seeking ways to increase your vocabulary rather than trying to infer freedom of speech arguments.

Swearing doesn't add any intrinsic value, nor is it required in order to describe a complete thought.

Agreed! (Explanation point shows how much I agree).
I hardly ever curse... the only time you'd catch me saying the eff word is if I stub my toe. (Gets me really mad lol)
Back to top Go down
TeL
TeL

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 21:37

@Sis Jill Same with me ^^
Back to top Go down
KiwiMan
Banned
Banned
KiwiMan

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 06:42

Who ever added swearing to my shoutbox rules REMOVE IT, the origonal rules were fine, swearing is fine as long as its not directed to insult or offend someone.
Back to top Go down
http://frontlinegaming.co.cc
Timetorun

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 14:27

Quote :
Fotum has saw fit to add no swearing to the chatbox rules, so your choices are to either agree or disagree, but you can be subjected to punishment by shoutbox moderators should you break this rule.

Heroin, you are so silly, why do you always try to pick a fight with me? I understand that I can get in trouble for breaking a rule. That's why it's called a rule.

I made a thread about my opinion and explaining why I think what I do. I don't need you to come in here and try to pull your macho act on me, telling me that if I don't obey the rules I will get in trouble. If you don't have something mature to say then please leave me alone. The forums are not a place for you to power trip, please try to take your status here a little more seriously.

Quote :
To be honest, i didn't read you LLLLOOOONNNNGG post sorry but i agree with the rules

Then why did you even bother to post here? If you are not talking about my thead, then why did you post in my thread?

Quote :
There wasn't much point in posting that because most people on this forum don't like reading huge posts.
Sorry if it hurts anyone's head to read, but I don't make a point of catering to idiots.

Quote :
I read all of it and generaly agre with you.
Well TYVM! Very Happy

Quote :
On the swearing issue, you have a stronger case but in the flaming bit i disagre with you. This forum has had too much flaming. If you are going to flame someone the worst place to do it is the chatbox. Of cause there is nothing wrong with a bit of joking around but lets just keep the flaming out of the chat box.
Hmm, I don't think that we need to be cluttering up the forums with threads that are created to make fun of someone. To completely say "No flaming" seems like a knee jerk reaction to me, we don't need complete censorship, we just need to be treated like adults. How do you expect someone to grow up with you always treat them like a child?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.   I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I completely disagree with the Chatbox rules.
Page 1 of 1