HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Registration DOES NOT need an email verification.
Welcome to the biggest MyBrute forum on the internet.
Look at the sections' stickies: you'll find there everything you need to know about the game!

Share | 

anyone familiar with cable-internet & powerline?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
harpyieklein

PostSubject: anyone familiar with cable-internet & powerline?   Thu 27 Aug 2009, 22:01

will switch to cable tomorrow and wanted to test my connection today. it's already possible with 500k right now, but nothing works..

i have to connect my router through powerline to the cable-modem, but that stupid modem doesn't want to assign an ip, what can i do?

i got a siemens cab-6114 & devolo dlan starterkit

so if i connect my wlan router directly to the cablemodem in the cellar it works fine (DHCP Connection Dynamic IP Address), the router gets an ip and i get a connection to the internet.

when i connect the devolo adapter to the modem and in the same cellar room the second adapter to the wan port of the wlan-router, nothing works, so it's not a problem of currency-interference/high-voltage-protection/different phases. even if i test it on 1. floor, the adapters are recognized well & have a decent speed.

there is something wrong with the connection cablemodem-devoloadapter in general, independant from distance.

and yes, every time i change something, i turn off the modem, on again, and wait to initialize, then connect to the adapter again...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BobTheBear
admin
admin

PostSubject: Re: anyone familiar with cable-internet & powerline?   Thu 27 Aug 2009, 23:09

So you will have:

Cable Modem > Devolo Adapter > Router > PC(s)

Which doesn't work.

But:

Cable Modem > Router > PC(s)

Works fine?

What about:

Cable Modem > Devolo Adapter > PC

(so take the router out of the loop)

Does that work?

Can't say I have any experience with power-line type network extenders by my understanding was that they are normally pretty easy plug and play devices .... clearly not in this case!

PostSubject: Re: anyone familiar with cable-internet & powerline?   Thu 27 Aug 2009, 23:24

yes, it really seems that Cable Modem > Devolo Adapter > Devolo Adapter >Router > PC(s) doesn't work

so i wouldn't be able to use the router as a wlan-router any more and would need a devolo-adapter for every single pc and a wireless-devolo adapter if i want to use a notebook higher than dining room. BUT ist that realy true? or doesn't this configuration work at all?

i just have a single network-card in my crappy old pc, which i will build out & test in one of the other pc's (which both have only wlan-adapters & no networkcard) but if that doesn't work...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BobTheBear
admin
admin

PostSubject: Re: anyone familiar with cable-internet & powerline?   Thu 27 Aug 2009, 23:30

The Devolo home page seems to imply that their devices should work fine plugged into a router at the client end?

Have you e-mailed their support?

Like I say, I have cable, but have never used any sort of extender device like this inbetween the modem and the router so I have no idea of the pitfalls I'm afraid. Although, the people I know that use them do all seem to end up with an extra adapter in every room they want to carry the connection to rather than a single wired stream going to central wireless point which it sounds like is what you are trying to do ....

PostSubject: Re: anyone familiar with cable-internet & powerline?   Fri 28 Aug 2009, 10:25

finally i'm in Wink

...changed from smc to the d-link router in the configuration modem-router-devolo-devolo-devolo without wlan

did that yesterday too with only one pc, and it didn't work, so i suppose it could have been a provider problem cause only today they started my connection @full speed, but i have no clue. perhaps i will do some tests later on, but now i don't have the nerves...

60 mbit/s in dining room, 22 in the attic, that's not bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BobTheBear
admin
admin

PostSubject: Re: anyone familiar with cable-internet & powerline?   Fri 28 Aug 2009, 18:51

Very nice speeds!

PostSubject: Re: anyone familiar with cable-internet & powerline?   Today at 18:22

Back to top Go down

anyone familiar with cable-internet & powerline?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1