My Brute Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Registration DOES NOT need an email verification.
Welcome to the biggest MyBrute forum on the internet.
Look at the sections' stickies: you'll find there everything you need to know about the game!

Force sticky IP to change?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
underestimated09
underestimated09

Force sticky IP to change? Empty
PostSubject: Force sticky IP to change?   Force sticky IP to change? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009, 12:18

Is there a way to force a sticky ip to change like a dynamic ip? ....so i can use BC ?
thx.
Back to top Go down
BobTheBear
admin
admin
BobTheBear

PostSubject: Re: Force sticky IP to change?   Force sticky IP to change? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009, 13:21

MAC spoofing.

I used it when I had only a cable connection.

But it's not a guaranteed method. It depends how your ISP operates their DHCP server. Some will only allocate you a new IP once or twice then not let you back on the network for a set delay time (it was 3 new IP's then a 3 hour wait for me!).

Your ISP also may not like you doing it. They use sticky IP for a reason - so their network management is not having to manage a constantly shifting IP pool ... so it's less strain on them.

If you bypass this by MAC spoofing, they mey get a bit annoyed and possibly disable your connection.

How do you connect to the network?

If via a router, you need to find out how to change the MAC on that (some will let you do it rhough their admin page, some will require you to use TELNET or similar).

If direct via a modem, you need to alter the MAC of the network card in your PC (assuming it's a wired connection). There is software called MACSHIFT which can do this. (I have athread on this ... see the sticky at the top of this forum and my post about forcing IP change on a static IP)

It is theoretically possible to automate all these methods and use them with BC but it's not usually as easy to do as it is with a non-sticky dynamic IP and a lot depends how your ISP's DHCP server behaves when you start forcing changes. You won't know that until you try it ....
Back to top Go down
underestimated09
underestimated09

PostSubject: Re: Force sticky IP to change?   Force sticky IP to change? Icon_minitimeSun 01 Nov 2009, 01:37

ok ive just about checked every website under the sun that says anything to do with sticky ip's.

and its not lookin hopeful..

therefore how about this?

my modem is an ADSL router-modem thing. Its a dynamic ip but, its sticky indeed.

Is it only sticky coz i use a router modem?

what if i get a dsl modem thats not a router?

will my sticky ip "unstick" then?
Back to top Go down
BobTheBear
admin
admin
BobTheBear

PostSubject: Re: Force sticky IP to change?   Force sticky IP to change? Icon_minitimeSun 01 Nov 2009, 03:02

If your IP is sticky, it will tie itself to a MAC address at the client end (ie ... you).

Doesn't matter if it's a modem/router or a modem direct to the PC .... either way, it'll be tied to a MAC address. If it's a router, it'll attach to the MAC of that, if it's a modem only, it'll attach to the MAC of your network card in the PC.

Either way, you're in the same boat I'm afraid.

If it's sticky, it's sticky. Full stop.
Back to top Go down
underestimated09
underestimated09

PostSubject: Re: Force sticky IP to change?   Force sticky IP to change? Icon_minitimeSun 01 Nov 2009, 04:33

oh well thx for the info..

saves me spending endless hours searching how to get around it...

thanks for ur time ^^
Back to top Go down
BobTheBear
admin
admin
BobTheBear

PostSubject: Re: Force sticky IP to change?   Force sticky IP to change? Icon_minitimeSun 01 Nov 2009, 12:44

No problem.

I hit exactly the same probelm with the first "dynamic" ISP I went with. Turned out to be sticky.

They got cancelled and I took out a different one that I knew wasn't sticky.

Thing I found from asking them first though, was that most ISP's (or at least the goons they have answering their phones) have no idea whether their IP allocation system is sticky or not!
Back to top Go down
Stsin
Stsin

PostSubject: Re: Force sticky IP to change?   Force sticky IP to change? Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 12:30

Just some random thoughts:

One way to tell if it's really sticky is to open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all
It should show Lease Obtained and Lease Expires.

My ADSL connection only had a 24 hour lease. If I just turned off modem, I often get same IP back, but it does change each time by setting to static and back to DHCP. So this was not sticky.

But another connection I had, showed a month lease. Which did not change with reset and renewing DHCP. And is probaby assigned by MAC address. That was sticky.

So I'm guessing sticky will always come with long leases?

Also while I was looking at my router config (DD-WRT), noticed that it has an option to Clone Mac Address (.ie change/fake it). So if your router has that option, can quickly try it to see if it works. And can go back to original if something does go wrong. Probably could use a script to put certain random numbers in it.
Back to top Go down
BobTheBear
admin
admin
BobTheBear

PostSubject: Re: Force sticky IP to change?   Force sticky IP to change? Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 13:04

If there is a setting in your router config to change it's MAC address ... thats as good as it gets on a sticky IP.

But then it's more how your ISP DHCP server handles the change .... some cope with it better than others. Only way to find out is to try .....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Force sticky IP to change?   Force sticky IP to change? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Force sticky IP to change?
Page 1 of 1